14 September 2005

Hmm...

The Puppydrinker was reminiscing about someone else's slightly older article on memorials.

The first link given though is along the same lines. What struck me about it isn't the description of Britain thowing away it's culture, history, and liberty (both individual and national) in favor of feelgood politics and politicians. Barring another Thatcher, the UK will be a historical footnote. No, what struck me was this...
There are more admirals on the Service List today than there are warships in commission


The navy that ruled the oceans and trade routes efficiently for five centuries, repeatedly defeating much larger and better equipped enemies, could put an admiral in command of every one of it's warships and still have more onshore at home to issue orders. Most of the non-war ships are manned with civilians.

I recall seeing once, and I think it was Nordlinger who wrote the article I read it in (I tried to locate it but couldn't), that the Royal Navy, at some point shortly prior to the Falklands War, had more support personnel who never left dry land than it had sailors on boats. I don't know what the hell they're doing, but ruling the waves doesn't seem to be part of the plan.

British plan:

Live up to ancestors: No.

Surrender to France: Yes.

Goe, thinks those people are seriously fucked in the head.

No comments: