06 July 2005

I'm more ____ than you!

Saw something that reminded me of a post I made elsewhere on moderates. Basically, a moderate is someone who agrees with you, an extremist is one who has a view that you won't tolerate. It doesn't really matter what your views are, that's the way our society defines those terms.

I was poking around online and saw someone describe themselves as being raised Southern Baptist but "more open-minded" than what they claim their family wanted. This falls into the same realm as 'moderate'. I've met about as many people who were more open-minded than I am as I have people who were less so. The primary difference seems to be what they are open-minded about, which doesn't actually make them open-minded, just of different opinions.

Most of the people I know who would feel comfortable marching in a gay rights parade would go spastic if Southern Baptists held a prayer vigil in a city park. The person I know who most advocates against religious persecution wants the Catholic church outlawed. Very few people are more tolerant, they just tolerate different things.

Goe, doesn't tolerate bigots or the french.

No comments: